Filmetrics, a KLA company, is the market leader in 3D optical surface profiling and thin-film thickness measurement systems. Filmetrics products combine innovative hardware solutions with intuitive, easy to use software, tied together with a pioneering online platform. Filmetrics is part of KLA Corporation which develops industry-leading equipment and services that enable innovation throughout the electronics industry. We provide advanced process control and process-enabling solutions for manufacturing wafers and reticles, integrated circuits, packaging, printed circuit boards and flat panel displays. In close collaboration with leading customers across the globe, our expert teams of physicists, engineers, data scientists and problem-solvers design solutions that move the world forward.
Filmetrics products serve a broad range of industries and applications, from electronics and semiconductors to optics, biomedical, automotive, and industrial/commercial coatings. The company’s San Diego headquarters is housed in an open, newly renovated building that provides a pleasant work environment with lots of natural light and fresh air, taking maximum advantage of the San Diego climate. All Filmetrics systems are manufactured in San Diego, and customers are supported through an array of sales offices across the United States and around the world.
The Manufacturing/Design Engineer will work on diverse problems supporting manufacturing, new product introduction (NPI), and continuous improvement projects (CIP).
- Develop, implement, and maintain methods, operational sequences, and processes in the fabrication of parts, components, subassemblies, and final assemblies.
- Estimates manufacturing costs, determines time standards, and makes recommendations for tooling and process requirements for new or existing products.
- Configure Bill of Materials (BOMs) to meet production requirements.
- Develop documentation to support the transition of new products from engineering to manufacturing, provide training to assemblers and technicians, and work with technicians to troubleshoot complex issues.
- Test and qualify mechanical, electrical, and optical components and modules. Work with suppliers to improve incoming material quality and acceptance.
- Create, execute, and refine build sequences related to system assembly, integration, calibration and certification. Evaluate the manufacturing effectiveness of build processes and implement improvements to meet build cycle times and product design specifications.
- As required, maintain records and reporting systems for coordination of manufacturing operations.
- Involved in concept development, detailed design, configuration definition, verification, qualification, manufacturing specification and documentation of engineering activities, which lead to improved product, increased output and reduced cost.
- Interface with design engineering, marketing, operations, procurement, and service in coordinating the release of new products.
- Read and interpret design drawings, schematics, and perform updates of models or drawings using computer-aided design (CAD) tools. Interpret system models for error, sensitivity, or throughput budgets that pertain to production processes.
- Interact with systems and software engineers to resolve manufacturing issues and implement corrective actions.
- Drive efforts that address product-level issues including supplier quality issues, manufacturing escalations, and characterization or improvement projects.
- Analyze manufacturing data via statistical process control to drive process, specification, and design improvements.
- A Bachelor’s degree (required), Master’s or advanced degree (desired) in Mechanical/Electrical/Industrial/Manufacturing Engineering or Physics/Materials Science. A proven track record of success across a range of industries and products a plus.
- Understanding of system level interactions between optics, electronics, and mechanical parts to enable effective problem solving at the system level down to the individual piece part level.
- Competency in mechanical and electrical manufacturing processes, tooling and fixture design, process improvement, and quality systems.
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability through design of experiments and ability to carry out tests to collect and analyze data.
- Excellent technical writing and documentation skills.
- Able to test and qualify mechanical materials and components, optical components, electronics, and modules. Able to work with suppliers to improve incoming material quality and acceptance. Previous experience in supplier development is a plus.
- Able to communicate effectively with peers, interdisciplinary engineering groups, customers and suppliers. Able to give effective technical presentations up to the Product Life Cycle (PLC) level. The individual must also be able to effectively communicate with a broad range of people and cultures across the US, Europe and Asia.
- Self-driven individual with keen technical ability, systematic approach, and excellent problem-solving skills. Candidate should have a positive attitude, be detail oriented and be a strong team player.
- Solid modeling, structural analysis, Finite Elements Analysis (FEA), and SolidWorks suit of CAD tool experience preferred.
- Experience with manufacturing control systems (ERP, PLM, etc.).
- Expertise in MS Software Packages: Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. VBA language experience a plus. MS Project and Visio experience a plus. Python experience a plus.
- Experience in statistical process control (SPC) is a plus.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes including machining, sheet metal and castings.
- Semiconductor Equipment experience desired.
- Knowledge of Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) protocols and training in both production and R&D environments a plus.
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically, up to 10%
Advanced degrees are not considered equivalent to actual experience, and candidates who do not meet the minimum requirements will not be considered.
Doctorate (Academic) with at least 2 years of experience.ORBachelor's Level Degree with at least 5 years of experience.ORMaster's Level Degree with at least 4 years of experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
KLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.