Calling the adventurers ready to join a company that's pushing the limits of nanotechnology to keep the digital revolution rolling. At KLA, we're making technology advancements that are bigger—and tinier—than the world has ever seen.
Who are we? We research, develop, and manufacture the world's most advanced inspection and measurement equipment for the semiconductor and nanoelectronics industries. We enable the digital age by pushing the boundaries of technology, creating tools capable of finding defects smaller than a wavelength of visible light. We create smarter processes so that technology leaders can manufacture high-performance chips—the kind in that phone in your pocket, the tablet on your desk and nearly every electronic device you own—faster and better. We're passionate about creating solutions that drive progress and help people do what wouldn't be possible without us. The future is calling. Will you answer?
At KLA, we don't just work on outstanding technology, we define outstanding technology!
With over 40 years of semiconductor process control experience, chipmakers around the globe rely on KLA to ensure that their fabs ramp next-generation devices to volume production quickly and efficiently. Enabling the movement towards sophisticated chip design, KLA's Global Products Group (GPG) is responsible for creating KLA’s metrology and inspection products. We are looking for the best and the brightest research scientists, software engineers, application development engineers, and senior product technology process engineers.
KLA is ramping its fastest-growing new research & development center in Ann Arbor, MI, and we're hiring the best talent! The Ann Arbor team is developing product equipment, test centers, and the software and AI algorithms that power the cutting-edge capabilities that KLA is recognized for.
Central Engineering is KLA's largest engineering organization comprised of 9 Centers-of-Excellence (CoE) in various fields applied across all product groups in the company. These CoE include Handling & Automation, Precision Motion Control, Sensors & Image Acquisition, Platform Design, and Packaging Engineering, among others. Talent includes over 500 engineers across global centers in Israel, China, India, and the US. Each CoE contributes not just talent and results toward product programs, but also domain expertise, roadmaps, niche facilities, apparatus, models, and analytics. These differentiate KLA not only in WHAT we do, but HOW we do it.
In this role successful candidates will be responsible for:
- Lead the design and implementation for next-generation common vacuum platform system (wafer transfer system, wafer chucking, and process chamber) across multiple divisions
- Design of components for operation in high vacuum including vacuum chambers and subcomponent interfaces
- Design of precision components and subsystems
- Derive industry-standard guidelines, mentor and develop a staff of engineers and technicians to best utilize their skills, strengths, and experiences to accomplish short-term and long-term project objectives and promote professional growth
- Work with contamination control team to derive best-known methods (BKM), prevention and diagnostic techniques
- Work with supply chain team to engage and develop potential suppliers worldwide to deliver a sophisticated yet efficient, reliable solutions.
- Understand and drive system and subsystem requirement specifications
- Understand and direct material selection and fabrication method for high vacuum systems
- Provide solutions to various structural and multifaceted requirements for precision instruments
- Perform concept and detailed designs using 3D modeling software packages (ProE/Creo, etc.)
- Perform feasibility studies and proof of concepts
- Define test criteria and build test plans and failure modes for functional prototypes in the lab.
- Assist with assembly and testing of subcomponents and system-level assemblies
- Perform finite element analysis (FEA) for structural and thermal design problems
- Develop an understanding of cost, schedule, and scope and impact of possible tradeoffs
- Hold design reviews and secure consensus from domain specialists
- Specify, document and guide procurement of parts
- Plan release of designs according to KLA’s standard processes
- Work with multi-functional team members, and contribute to system-level discussions including impact on overall system performance
- Help with identifying and resolving issues both at subsystem and system levels
- Provide vital technical support for manufacturing operations and service engineering; addressing current issues and implement continuous improvement to projects (CIP) and cost reductions initiatives
- Provide required support for all regulatory investigations and compliance-related initiatives
Key attributes needed:
Must have the flexibility to travel outside of Michigan based on business needs.
- Solid understanding of mechanical engineering principles and fundamentals including design principles, machine elements, materials, fabrication methods, and integration and testing with a focus on high-vacuum systems, particle, and contamination control.
- Experience with multi-physics analysis software such as Comsol or Ansys to perform airflow, thermal and structural design studies, and tradeoff analysis.
- Experience with high-precision mechanism design for precision instruments
- Understanding of materials and fabrication method for high vacuum systems
- Proficient in 3D solid modeling using CAD, preferably ProE/Creo
- Ability to lead a small design team
- Analytical problem-solving skills in the structural, dynamic, thermal and fluid domains
- Strong understanding of engineering tolerance and error budgets, knowledge of GD&T
- Be able to work in a multi-discipline and multi-culture global organization
- Be flexible and adaptive to adjust project focus based on priority changes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven analytical skills
- Ability to work well with others
- Self-motivated, yet an active team member
Mechanical Engineering/Physics or related field
- Doctorate (Academic) with at least 2 years of experience or
- Master's Level Degree with at least 5 years of experience or
- Bachelor's Level Degree with at least 7 years of experience
Equal Employment Opportunity
KLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.