Calling the adventurers ready to join a company that's pushing the limits of nanotechnology to keep the digital revolution rolling. At KLA, we're making technology advancements that are bigger—and tinier—than the world has ever seen.
Who are we? We research, develop, and manufacture the world's most advanced inspection and measurement equipment for the semiconductor and nanoelectronics industries. We enable the digital age by pushing the boundaries of technology, creating tools capable of finding defects smaller than a wavelength of visible light. We create smarter processes so that technology leaders can manufacture high-performance chips—the kind in that phone in your pocket, the tablet on your desk and nearly every electronic device you own—faster and better. We're passionate about creating solutions that drive progress and help people do what wouldn't be possible without us. The future is calling. Will you answer?
The Customer Group (CG) team is our field based, customer facing organization consisting of Sales, Marketing, Applications, Finance, Human Resources, Facilities & IT. They partner closely with our customers to provide a comprehensive portfolio of products, services, software and expertise, to help them manage yield throughout their fabrication process—from research and development to final volume production. Responsibilities of this group include maintaining strategic client relationships, identifying and closing sales opportunities, ensuring our products meet performance capabilities & expectations, providing critical solutions for improved yield performance, and collecting requirements for future products by understanding customer processes and technology trends. Partnering with our service organization and factory divisions, this diverse and dynamic team helps ensure alignment between customer needs and corporate offering to maintain a high level of customer satisfaction.
** Position is based in Beaverton, OR. **
The Customer Support Engineer (CSE) is primarily responsible for customer service activities that are associated with updating, troubleshooting, diagnosing, and repairing highly complex capital equipment at customer sites. The Customer Service Engineer represents the company to the customer and assumes accountability for customer satisfaction with service. The CSE assures the operational quality of the system equipment and coordinates actions with customers to minimize down-time and may provide assistance to Installation Engineers in resolving problems.
- Evaluate, analyze, diagnose and troubleshoot technical equipment problems via telephone or at customer site.
- Ensure equipment enhances customer production.
- Repair and modify equipment at customer facility.
- Evaluate equipment to determine type and extend of problem. Repairs involve board-level troubleshooting which can be performed using standard procedures, as well as system level problems which have multiple causes and no standard procedures exist.
- Repair of system level issues are based on CSEs technical knowledge, education, and training. Board vs.system level troubleshooting is split ~50/50.
- In analyzing and diagnosing equipment issues, CSEs may access and determine a problem exists in customer process such as chemical leaks or contamination and as a result may recommend shutdown of customer fab due to unsafe conditions. CSEs also prepare field service reports on customer support activity and provide documentation to other supporting functions on re-occurring issues.
- Prepare quotes for customers based on labor, travel expenses incurred and parts needed. CSEs use discretion and assist regional admin in preparing quotes based on reason for equipment failure, time to prepare etc.
- Cross train and assist other field service engineers as appropriate. Provides guidance and technical assistance to Installation Engineers on installations at customer sites or on installing/dismantling demonstration machines.
- The nature of work requires that CSEs work independently; only occasionally requiring guidance from management. CSEs are required to contact management on a daily basis (at least twice each day in a down tool situation) to report activities. CSEs spend part of their time in the office resolving equipment problems via phone and at least 50% of time at customer site and/or cleanroom factory environment.
- Contribute to the Capturing, Re-use, Collaboration, and Improvement of knowledge using available systems.
- Ability to understand and troubleshoot problems in software and electronics, optics, mechanical, electro-mechanical, and electro-optical systems.
- Analytical skills
- Knowledge of computer theory, various operating systems, and applicable operating system software knowledge, Networking in a Windows, Unix or Novell environment.
- Basic automation functionality on assigned equipment set. Develops technical proficiency in understanding automation with exposure to various systems.
- Preventive Maintenance (PM) aspects of assigned equipment set.
- PM work can be done with instruction of a manager or senior engineer.
- Must successfully complete ongoing technical training to acquire a thorough knowledge of company equipment, the application of diagnostic techniques and practical application of service aids.
- Microsoft Office suite proficiency is required.
- Attainment of Certification Level 2 or PM Training. Basic proficiency in systems level repair of a product within a family is required.
- Basic Semiconductor industry process knowledge required. KLA class for Introduction to semiconductor processes will be provided.
- Good interpersonal/communication skills in understanding customer needs. Ability to work under pressure and with stringent timelines since the system is down for service and may affect customer manufacturing area.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues/failures in software and electronic systems.
- Experience on KLA Archer based systems
Bachelor's Level Degree with at least 3 years of experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
KLA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.